Recorder Teams Incentive Program
Submitted by Gretchen Taylor, Illinois
Idea posted 2003-08-26
Choose teams (by class) and select name (recorder composer):
Prepare a team chart with student names and recorder session dates. Mount on wall or bulletin board.
During recorder sessions, place a checkmark, sticker, or other mark next to the name of any student who:
1. Participates and shows competency in sparring matches (where duos/trios play in alternating fashion thru a piece, phrase by phrase)
2. Participates and shows competency in the leading of echo warmups or other warmup drills.
3. Participates and shows competency in playing selected solo or ensemble parts within the context of a larger piece.
4. Prepares and performs competently in front of class, any additional solo piece (at least eight measures long including any repeats) beyond what the class is currently rehearsing. (Advance notice required to allow time at end of session).
5. Additional (as agreed upon by class and teacher)
Students receiving a mark will be given a "recorder option" coupon. This coupon may be redeemed at any following recorder session during the quarter for any of the following:
- Opt out of any written note drill (except tests).
- Opt out of any written dictation drill (except tests).
- Play boomtubes in lieu of recorders when available for play.
- Opt out of any non-belt playing test during the quarter (but this will require one coupon per every three measures of music).
Only one coupon per student can be earned in a given session. All coupons expire at the end of the quarter. Students choosing to opt-out of an activity may serve as teacher assistant during the activity by acting as a proctor, dictation leader, caller, or corrector. Or, if desired, the student may simply sit quietly during their opt out time.